Obtaining a Death Certificate
Florida Birth and Death records are now filed electronically and certifications can be issued statewide from any Florida County Health Department. These computer certifications are accepted by all State and Federal agencies and used for any type of travel.
- Birth Certifications (computer) 1917 to present
- Death Certifications (computer) 2009 to present
Birth and Death certifications for years prior to those listed above can be obtained from:
Bureau of Vital Statistics
PO Box 210
Jacksonville, Florida 32231
Web address: www.floridahealth.gov
Anyone may request a Florida Death Certification without cause of death information. Cause of death information is confidential in Florida and can only be issued to the following:
- Decedent's spouse or parent
- Decedent's child, grandchild, or sibling, if of legal age (18)
- Any person who provides a will, insurance policy or other document that demonstrates his or her interest in the estate of the decedent
- Any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on behalf of any of the above named persons.
Request for a death certification that includes the cause of death information requires a valid photo ID and must state the qualifying eligibility, or a notarized Affidavit to Release Cause of Death Information which is available upon request.
Listed below are acceptable forms of valid identification:
- Driver's License
- State Identification Card
- Military Identification Card
- $$7.00 each certified copy